Since then I've written for major and minor newspapers, for dozens of magazines (including at least three regular columns, one of which ("Rayguns, Elves, & Skin-Tight Suits," in The Comics Buyer's Guide) lasted for over a hundred installments), for assorted fanzines, and for a variety of webzines. In some cases the line between professional writing and simple chatter is fuzzy or non-existent.
What I can offer instead of a bibliography is a list of links to articles on this website. It doesn't even include things I've written that are elsewhere on the web, such as interviews, guest blogs, etc.
In fact, the list here overlaps with the writing advice list because some of these aren't so much advice as writing commentary.
So, let's get to it.
First and most obviously, I have blogs: "The Mind Control Lasers Lied to Me," and "the Serial Box." The former is a general-purpose blog, while the latter was specifically about stories I serialized online. Earlier blogs, such as "Strange Days," were incorporated into "The Mind Control Lasers Lied to Me."
And here are the rest. I welcome feedback on any and all of these. Many are out of date; if you notice any that are particulary egregious, please tell me.
- "Scientific Magic?" (On the difference between science fiction and fantasy)
- "On Infinite Possibilities" (On alternate history)
- "What Are You Doing With That Broom?" (On research for fantasy)
- "Deus ex Machina and Writing Fantasy" (When to play God)
- "Why I Don't Write Science Fiction Novels Anymore" (On genre stereotyping)
About Science Fiction Conventions:
- "What Are Science Fiction Conventions Like?"
- "Pros and Cons: Panel Discussions"
About Comic Books:
- "Dr. Wertham, EC Comics, and My Misspent Youth: In Search of the Unholy Grail"
- "The Other Guys" (The pre-Comics Code horror comics that weren't E.C.)
- "My Haunted Home" (A bit of autobiography)
- "I Just Wanted to Say..." (About fan mail)
- My Philosophy of Web Design (Just what it says.)
About Science Fiction and Fantasy:
That's it; here's your list of handy exits: